By Corneliu Dinca, Rotary coordinator, part of Zone 19, Vocational Service Leadership award 2010-11
What can we do to help district governors increase the number of active and engaged Rotarians? These members help build vibrant clubs and promote the image of their districts. As coordinators, we can help Rotarians connect with each other in a variety of ways. There are few ways for this to happen.
- Encourage Rotarians to register for MyRotary and search Discussion groups to connect with other Rotarians in their vocations.
- Develop a district vocational service strategic plan.
- Focus on connecting Rotarians with others in their vocation through a district members’ data base, sorted by occupational codes. This way each district vocational group will be very well identified, becoming more proud of its identity and more opened for vocational service.
One way my region celebrates vocational service is to hold a Vocational Service Forum. These team building events bring Rotarians together to share their vocations and discuss opportunities for service.
Is that enough? For a Vocational Forum, YES! For a forum focusing on Vocational service and strategic planning, NO! Some more steps are needed:
- Identify Rotarians who are already involved in a club or district project related to their vocation and ask them to speak about their experience.
- Find Rotarians involved in Rotary Action Groups and invite them to speak on how districts can adapt this international service model to fit their service projects.
- Hold a series of workshops led by previous vocational service project or vocational training team participants, focused on developing district vocational service projects.
- Invite Rotarians to think about how their vocations can contribute to and increase Rotary Service.
It’s not enough only to speak about our vocations. Let’s use these skills to bring in new members, increase fellowship, and encourage vocational service!
Inducting a new member is like creating a new artery which brings energy to Rotary. Grassroots who constitute the mainstay of Rotary also depend on diversified vocations to increase the Rotary base in community. Let’s have membership extension in our mind ‘all times’.